lundi 9 mai 2011

Do you like Scream ?



If I say “What is your favorite scary movie ?”, I hope you will answer me Scream ! You mustn’t say Paranormal activity or The Rite, it’s forbidden ! Even if Scream is not my favorite scary movie, I think it is the scary movie of my generation. Unfortunately, Scream 2 and Scream 3 were a huge mistake, two very bad movies. 

When I learned that a Scream 4 was in production, I didn’t have a good feeling. But I am not a cookie girl, and of course I went to the cinema a watched it. And you know what, it was a very good surprise. I really love it. Before I explain how awesome is it , I want to tell you the story behind Scream and his creator Kevin Williamson. 


Kevin is nice guy who wanted to become actor in Hollywood in the nineties. But, he wasn’t very good and decided to become a scriptwriter, he took many classes and started writing a script about a new Boogeyman, a tribute to the slashers from the eighties.

The first movie was directed by Wes Craven, a horror movie director and released on December 20, 1996. Scream follows Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), a high school student and her friends t in the little town of Woodsboro, who become the target of a mysterious killer, credited as Ghostface.

Scream is inspired by Halloween of John Carpenter and a real killer name Daniel Harold Roling, also known as The Gainseville Ripper. Originally, the movie is entitled Scary Movie. The script is bought by Dimension film, a movie studio specialize in horror movie head by the Weinstein’s brothers. At the beginning, many very famous directors refused to work on, because Scream looks more as a horror comedy. But for Williamson, “they didn’t get it”. Wes Craven accepted the project because his own movie was canceled.

After, listening the Michael Jackson song: Scream, Bob Weinstein decided to change the name of the movie. Because Scream is not only a horror movie, it also contained elements of satire and comedy. Even if Williamson and Craven hate the name Scream, who considered it stupid.

Scream made a turn for the horror genre in terms of casting which normally involved relatively unknown actors.

They decided to hire many famous young actors: at the beginning Drew Barrymore wanted to play the role of Sidney Prescott, but at the end she wasn’t available for the lead role, so she played a little role. Her participation in the movie attracted others actors and actress: Courtney Cox for the role of Gale Weathers or David Arquette for the role of Dewey Riley.



The shoot of Scream took place in North Carolina over eight weeks between April 15, 1996 and june 8, 1996on a budget of approximately $15 million.

The film made almost $87 million and a worldwide lifetime gross of $ 173,046,663. The film is 20th highest grossing horror film and remains the highest grossing slasher genre film, followed by Scream 2 and 3. Scream received largely positive critical and became the new teen slasher movie of my generation. Bad luck, Scream 2 and 3 are catastrophic and I remember how much I cried front of the screen. 

That’s why I am so happy about Scream 4! But you know what? You will have to wait the next article before reading my review. I am so mean!!!

Sarah.

2 commentaires:

  1. Scream 4 is not only a tribute to the Sream's saga, it's a tribute to all the slasher movie !!

    And I hope I spoil the main part of you're review ... (yes I'm mean too !!! ^^ )

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. A clear homage to the master.

    Corrections: cinema and watched it, loved it, a nice guy, to become an actor, killer named, specialized in horror movies, headed, Weinstein brothers, work on it, more like a horror, , “They didn’t, listening to the Michael, hated the name, the shooting of Scream, June 8, the 20th highest, positive criticism, wait for the next.

    RépondreSupprimer