lundi 2 mai 2011

Paranormal Activity, a swindle made in Hollywood.


 

Paranormal Activity by Oren Peli is a beautiful story made in Hollywood. On of Spielberg ‘s favorite horror movie of 2007 ! An amateur film with about $15 000  budget, shot in his home and became the American phenomenon with more than $80M profit. A success story which promises thrills, terror and explosions.

You just have to watch the trailer, which also incorporates the basic idea of ​​the very good Spanish horror movie REC : mixed audience reactions with av few extracts from the movie. As usual there is woman who hides her face,  a man who jumps from his chair.

 

Tempting this little concept, you want to believe this performance as an independent horror  movie as Blair Witch. So today I put my doubts in a huge box and I watch Paranormal activity.

I am going to tell you my opinion but before I summarize the movie’s story. Katie and Micah, a young and lovely American couple lives with a sort of ghost / demon (we do not really know) and decides to film this "adventure" as a kind of experience. And so the film is to follow their daily life through the camera!
(This process is really in fashion) 

 

After this short introduction I can finally let go and you say it's film is a really crap! 1 hour and 26 minutes with emptiness, moving doors, shadows and strange noises. I'm sorry, I need a little more to be afraid. Only two scenes may be judged as scary if you are really  and really sensitive. It’s not enough to say “Paranormal Activity is a horror phenomenon”.  To be honest, this film made me laugh and yawn.  

Plus, I'm really not a fan of the documentary style. I prefer the work of Jaume Balaguero on REC. Now, we never forget the budget of this movie and the artistic context. Even if the result is better than average, I can recognize that it  must a huge investment for a director in many ways.  
What I really dislike is how the movie was sold, all the marketing around the product: “The most horrific movie that you have ever seen”. Lying ! So, at the end, I think “crap” and forget the production context. To be honest, I don’t know if I am able to produce and make a better horror movie with only $15 000. Let’s be modest.

To conclude, I can say this movie is perfect if you don’t like horror movie and you want to feel something front of a little poltergeist story. Otherwise, I invite you again to watch The Entity.

Sarah


2 commentaires:

  1. I have stayed with my image of Blair Witch which really was terrifying at the time, though is probably really dated today, both stylistically and content-wise. But I do remember being scared silly when it came out.
    Corrections: by Oren, One of Spielberg’s favorite, with about a 15,000 budget, shot in his home, became, $80M profit, explosions (bursts), mixed audience reactions, with a few extracts, As usual, there is a woman who hides, man who jumps, summarize the movie’s story, this film is really crap, judged as scary, really, really, really sensitive, Activity, it must be, for a director in many ways, you have ever seen, the production context, produce and make a better

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. The trailer is very good, because it really tempts you to watch the movie !!

    I jumped directly to the scary scenes, all the rest is so boring...

    But finally, the scariest part of the film are in the trailer ! What a joke !

    RépondreSupprimer